Lu’s research focuses on computer vision and sensing, image and video analytics, and deep learning. He has been working on scene text detection and recognition for years, contributing to a number of impactful benchmarking datasets as well as innovative detection and recognition techniques. In recent years, Lu has been studying how to tackle data collection and data annotation challenges in deep network training.
Lu is currently an associate professor (tenured) in the School of Computer Science and Engineering, Nanyang Technological University (NTU). He has held an adjunct position at MBZUAI since late 2021. Before joining NTU in 2017, he took a number of leadership roles in the Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R), Agency for Science, Technology, and Research (A*SATR) in Singapore, including head of the Visual Attention Lab, deputy head of the Satellite Department, co-chair of the Image and Pervasive Access Laboratory (a CNRS overseas laboratory hosted by A*STAR in Singapore). Lu’s research focuses on computer vision and sensing, image and video analytics, and deep learning. He won a number of international benchmarking competitions such as DIBCO2009, H-DIBCO2010, DIBCO2013, RRC2013, ANWRESH-2014, etc.
- Ph.D. in electrical and computer engineering from the National University of Singapore
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering from the Xi’an Jiaotong University, China
Lu has authored or co-authored more than 200 academic papers, and has filed up to 10 patents in the US and EU. His developed technology has been successfully licensed to industry and deployed in daily operations.
- Guan, D., Huang, J., Xiao, A., & Lu, S. (2022). Unbiased subclass regularization for semi-supervised semantic segmentation. CVPR.
- Zhan, F. Z., Zhang, J., Yu, Y., Wu, R., & Lu, S. (2022). Modulated contrast for versatile image translation. CVPR.
- Zhang, G., Luo, Z., Yu, Y., Cui, K., & Lu, S. (2022). Accelerating DETR convergence via semantic-aligned matching. CVPR.
- Zhang, J., Huang, J., Tian, Z. T., & Lu, S. (2022). Spectral unsupervised domain adaptation for visual recognition. CVPR.
- Zhou, C., Luo, Z. L., Luo, Y., Liu, T., Pan, L., Cai, Z., Zhao, H., & Lu, S. (2022). PTTR: Relational 3d point cloud object tracking with transformer. CVPR.
- Xue, C., Tian, Z., Zhan, F., Lu, S., & Bai, S. (2022). Fourier document restoration for robust document dewarping and recognition. CVPR.
- Senior Program Committee (SPC) of the International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI18 – IJCAI21)
- Senior Program Committee (SPC) of the AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI18 – AAAI21)
- Area Chair of 15th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition (ICDAR-19)
- Area Chair of IEEE Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision (WACV-17 and WACV-18)
- Area Chair of 14th IAPR International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition (ICDAR-17)
- Top winner of the ICFHR2014 Competition on Word Recognition from Historical Documents
- Top winner of the ICDAR 2013 Robust Reading Competition (1st in the scene text segmentation task)
- Top winner of the ICDAR 2013 Document Image Binarization Contest (DIBCO 2013)
- Top winner of the H-DIBCO 2010 – Handwritten Document Image Binarization Competition
- Top winner of the ICDAR 2009 Document Image Binarization Contest (DIBCO 2009)